Partick 0-1 Falkirk- Match Report

Falkirk produce upset to dump out PartickFalkirk progressed through to the third round of the Scottish League Cup following a stoic performance at Firhill as they eliminated a lacklustre Partick.Throughout a first half short on goalscoring opportunities it was the Bairns who impressed the most thanks to a solid disciplined display and a creative verve lacking in the hosts.Peter Grant deservedly fired the visitors in front in the 32nd minute with a powerful effort from just inside the box which he lashed past the helpless Tomas Cerny into the left hand side of the net.In an attempt at reducing the arrears Alan Archibald introduced Matthias Pogba, older brother of Juventus and France star Paul, for the ineffectual David Amoo at the interval.And the big substitute immediately made his presence felt, causing new problems for the Falkirk backline with his aerial prowess.Three minutes into the second period it was from one of his flicks that Steven Lawless had an opportunity, only for the diminutive Thistle midfielder to fire over the visitors' crossbar.Five minutes later, Pogba himself should have levelled the tie when he found himself free inside the Falkirk penalty area only to be thwarted after a jinking run by the outstretched arms of Danny Rogers.As expected the bulk of the action in the second half took place in the Falkirk half as their opponents, who ply their trade a league higher than them, dominated possession.But a combination of a lack of a penetrative final ball and impressive organisation from Peter Houston's side led to Thistle's exit from the competition.With 71 minutes on the clock, the visitors came close to doubling their lead following some neat skills from David Smith but his final effort was comfortably stopped by Cerny.Two minutes later Archibald replaced Ryan Stevenson with David Wilson as the Jags boss sought an equaliser.Thirteen minutes from the end Falkirk defender Will Faulks became the first player to have his name taken by referee Craig Thomson, with goalscorer Grant quickly following.Archibald's final throw of the dice was the introduction of Declan McDaid for Gary Fraser in the 81st minute, with Aaron Muirhead coming on to replace Smith for the visitors three minutes later.And the men in dark blue held firm to hold off any Thistle forays into their box in the closing period to deservedly secure progress into the third round and leave Thistle still seeking their first victory of the campaign

Source : PA

Source: PA